Saturday, August 7, 2010

Een Blauwe Vlinder Zegt Gedag – Sophie van der Stap



Dear Readers,

Yes, I did read another book. Sorry if it bores ya.

This book is a follow-up about Sophie´s life.

When she was 21, she got a horrible type of cancer. She started writing down her story from the beginning of the process till the end (yes, she survived cancer!). She went through chemo's and lost her hair. She decided to buy wigs because she didn´t feel pretty with a bald head (trust me, I wouldn´t even feel comfortable walking on the street!). All together, she had 9 wigs. Each of them different - long blond, short brunette, etc. What makes this book so good is that every time Sophie wears a different wig, she feels like she has a different personality. She attracts different kinds of people and acts differently. She could be anyone without somebody noticing it was her (except her friends of course).

Her second book is about her life after cancer. She doesn´t know what she lives for and goes on a world trip to find out. She meets lots of people but still doesn´t realize what she is and what she wants. One of her dear friends, who also had cancer, doesn´t survive it. In the hospital, her friend asks her if Sophie would want to write about her, and she does. So this book is basically about Sophie´s visits and her life after her friend dies.

And here comes my opinion! I really really liked the first book. I loved her write-style. Very modern, easy to read. The way Sophie talks about her cancer is like it´s no big deal. Like there are worse things. She´s very strong and she jokes about it too. Not like she wants to have cancer or anything, but she makes jokes about it. Because I loved the first book so much, I decided to get the second one too. Well guys, I wouldn´t recommend it. It´s really boring and when I was at page 150 (of the 224) I was like; ´why is she writing about what she sees in Argentina? I mean great, but it totally doesn´t relate to what her story was about.´ the title of the book is about her friend who dies, and her story kind of ends on page 150. I dragged myself through the rest of the story, but if it wasn´t for you guys, I would´ve stopped reading.

Love, Rachelleeeeee.

No comments:

Post a Comment