Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Lappendag

(august 15th)

Dear Readers,

Today was Lappendag. This is a typically Dutch day when people go into town really early in the morning (starting at 5 am) and go shopping. There is also this other part of the tradition when the men(also teenagers, women) go to the bars and just drink and don’t stop till it gets late. I guess there are two types of people on this kind of day… the shopaholics and the alcoholics (mostly drunk!). I guess I would be number uno, right?

My friends and me got up at 6 and were in town at 7, and shopped for about 3 hours. There are not only stores, shops and boutiques but also this market in the middle of the streets. They sell all sorts of things – jewelry, make-up, books. You name it, they have it. Okay that isn’t completely true. But what most people want you to believe is that all the stuff that’s on sale when you walk in, wasn’t there a couple of days before. And honestly, I’ve seen things on sale today that were on sale for weeks now. Most of the things are summer collections, which they need to get rid off anyway so Lappendag is great for the local stores.

I bought a jumpsuit, something I’ve been wanting to get for ages now! It’s a really thin suit, with a flower print. (5 euros) Because it’s so drapy, you can wear it in a lot of different ways! You can barely see the shorts, so it looks like a dress, which makes you able to wear leggings/tights underneath. Put on some hot heels and you’re ready to go! When you’re going to the beach, all you need it the jumpsuit it self.

I also got a dress from Only, with with all these colors. Almost like paint accidently dripped on it. (5 euros) It’s pretty short so I guess you’re able to wear it as a regular top, with skinny jeans.

At the market I got 4 bottles of nailpolish for 5 euros (beyond cheap, guys!). Colors: white, see-through, dark green and pink. My friend got light blue (a color I reallyyyy want to have) but I decided I’ll just borrow hers someday because that’s just a waste of money if you live a block away. ;-)

The mascara was on sale for 2 euros, so hey, what the heck, I got brown mascara. Now that I’m blond, I would like to look more earth-toney.

The later it gets, the more drunk the people get. That’s why we decided that after we were done shopping we would just go home and have lunch and then we would see if we’d like to go back or not. In the end we did and saw how crowded the bars were. Amazing scene but not my style! We had a drink and went to get some ice cream. I got a bit claustrophobic, I’ve got to admit. We had a really fun afternoon after that :-).

Conclusion: Lappendag is fun if you are okay with getting up early for bargains ;-)

Love always,

Rachelle


Love,Rachelle

No comments:

Post a Comment