Friday, August 27, 2010

My Dutch Side






Dear all,
I'm sorry for not posting anything earlier. Besides the fact that I've been busy, I've also been thinking about a certain article I'd like to write (no, I'm not giving any hints!). Today, and the last few days have been horribly bad. The weather's been no different than rain, wind and coldness. Instead of going to the beach, me and my friend Claudia stayed in and made 'pepernoten'. That is a Dutch treat that you buy/bake during November and December. On December 5th, there is this Dutch holiday called Sinterklaas. Now you're asking me about a longgg story haha. You should look it up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas

I really wanted to bake the pepernoten ['pepper nuts'] even though my friend broke her wrist. Anyway, we managed to get the ingredients mixed together and put the pepper nuts on the baking plate! :)

WHAT YOU NEED:
100 gr. of butter
250 gr. of self-rising flower
100 gr. of fine sugar
1 teaspoon of syrup
30 gr. of cinnamon
10 gr. of nutmeg
5 gr. of white pepper
5 gr. of coriander
5 gr. of anise
HOW TO:
Put the oven on 175 C.
Knead all the ingredients with moisture hands (makes it easier to knead!)
Take bits of the mix and make these into small balls, flatten them when you put them on the baking plate.
Put the pepper nuts in the oven for 20 minutes and let them cool down afterwards.

ENJOY :]

Love,Rachelle

2 comments: